Wednesday Snippets {1}: The Arrival

As one of my new features on my blog, I'll be featuring snippets of my work each Wednesday. They may be published work, soon to be publisher or even works in progress.  With that being said, it's time for the first sneak peek into the world that Leah is getting ready to enter with her twin, Marie in The Arrival. The first book of the Dormitory Series, the Arrival is set in contemporary times but is anything but contemporary. In Leah's world, all her friends are orphans like her and possess unique abilities that set them apart from your average tweens.  Attending the Dormitory, a school for the gifted, Leah and her twin sister, Marie embark on a journey neither girl is ready for.  

But before the girls can attend the Dormitory, they have to be invited by Mrs. Brindle, the formidable headmistress.   Here's a little snippet of Leah and Marie's first visit from the headmistress.  Enjoy! 

Blurb: Leah and Marie Mckinzie appear to be average ten-year olds but they are anything but. Marie's natural ability to create items from thin air and Leah's gift to bring any object she touches to life are talents their parents demand they hide. Like good girls they do until the night an explosion rocks their world. Now with their parents gone, they bounce from foster home to foster home, where it isn't long before their secret talents are exposed. Shortly thereafter, Mrs Brindle, the headmistress of the renown Dormitory arrives to take them back to her elite school for orphaned kids.

Soon Leah and Marie find themselves residing in Dormitory C. Uncertain about their future, they vow to stay together, no matter what. However shortly after they arrive, Marie, the more outgoing of the twins angers Kacee, the dorm assistant. The theft of Kacee's beloved stuffed monkey leads to Marie being blamed. It's up to Leah to find the animal and make things right, before Kacee demands Marie be removed from their dorm.

Snippet:

“I would like to talk to the girls for a moment.” The older woman turned to stare at us. Then she gave us a brief smile. “Alone, if you don’t mind, Mrs. Lehman.” 

Our foster mother nodded. “Of course.” Mrs. Lehman gave us a smile. “Girls, this nice lady would like to talk to you.” She glanced back at the woman again. “I’ll be in the kitchen if you need anything.” 

“Thank you.” Mrs. Brindle joined us, perching on the battered arm of the couch. “Good morning, girls. My name is Mrs. Brindle.” 

“Hi.” I forced myself to be nice. Mom had taught me manners, and even if this woman was here to take us away again, I was to be polite. I nudged Marie until she finally squeaked out a hesitant hi. 

“Relax, I’m not here to hurt you.” Kindness seemed to radiate from her. “I love kids. In fact, I run a school that is full of kids just like you.” 

I grew suspicious. There was no way I was going to admit to being different. Nothing good came from being different. “You mean kids who have lost their moms and dads?” 

“Well, yes. Some of the kids lost their parents in terrible accidents, but others are there because their parents gave them up because they weren’t able to care for them. I have one special boy who is in a wheelchair. His parents couldn’t afford his doctor bills so he stays with me at the Dormitory.” She smiled and lifted her hand to touch me. I shied back. I hated being touched by people I didn’t know. Since our parents had died, every grown up we met had wanted to touch us. To squeeze our shoulders, hug us, or something. Her hand dropped and there was a flicker of something in her eyes. Before I could figure out if she was mad or not, her expression cleared and her smile returned. “From the sounds of it, you two gave your foster mother a bit of scare this morning.” 

Next to me, a whimper passed Marie’s lips. Normally more outgoing than me, it seemed unreal that she was looking to me for protection. But then a lot had happened in the last few months. Sometimes I wondered if anything would ever be normal again. I squeezed her shoulder. Trying to tell her without words that I knew she hadn’t done it on purpose. The loss of Bozo, her stuffed dog, when we had been rushed out of our last home had hit my sister hard. Bozo had been Marie’s constant companion, and she’d cried for hours when she hadn’t been able to find him earlier.

“Shhh, you’re not in trouble.” Mrs. Brindle spoke softly. “I know you didn’t do it on purpose. Sometimes things like this happen, particularly when you’re scared.” She leaned forward. “What if I told you that the Dormitory had kids just like you? Kids that could do things that normal kids didn’t do? And that we help them learn how to control themselves so accidents like this don’t happen.” 

“Really?” Marie peeked around me. “There are other kids who can—”

I squeezed her knee hard. “Don’t. Mom said to never tell.” 

“Of course she did. Leah, is it?” Mrs. Brindle stood. “Mrs. Lehman told me you were rather protective of your sister.” 

“Yeah, she’s my sister.” Like I would let anyone hurt Marie. Even when she bossed me around, I still loved her. 

“Then that would make you Marie Mckenzie.” She looked to Marie.


©Becki Gylberte All rights reserved. This is a work of fiction. All names, characters, locations, and incidents are products of the author’s imagination, or have been used fictionally. Any resemblance to actual persons living or dead, locales, or events is entirely coincidental. No portion of this work may be transmitted or reproduced in any form, or by any means, without permission in writing from the author.