Friday Treat {2} - Creole Grilled Potatoe Pouches

As I've mentioned I have three kids and of my three, my middle daughter happens to be the pickiest when it comes to food.   One of her oddities is that she doesn't care for potatoes. Not mashed, not baked, not french fried or even Augritin or flavored potatoes.   However there is one exception to that rule.  She loves and even requests what she calls pouch potatoes.  This is a potato dish I make on the grill. I first got this idea from my mother in law during one our cook outs.  Her pouches are usually loaded with onion, peppers, potatoes and cheese.  Basically your loaded baked potato. Which of course my daughter doesn't like.  However I was in the mood for something different one night and just randomly grabbed some spices out of the cupboard.   The recipe below is the only form of potato my daughter will eat. 

Ingredients
6 Medium Size Russet Potatoes, unpeeled but scrubbed
Aluminum foil (2 pieces about 14 inches long)
Non-stick canola spray
Salt and Pepper to taste
Creole* Seasoning (about a tsp total) 

Directions
1. Lay foil down, dull side up.  Spray with non-stick spray
2. Slice potatoes in bite size pieces. (I usually quarter the potato then slice it into 1/4 inch slices)
3. Layer about a quarter of the potatoes on the foil.  Then salt and pepper to taste as well as a good shake of creole seasoning. Spray potatoes again with non-stick spray.  Repeat until you gone through all the sliced potatoes.    
4.  Take second piece of foil.  Spray dull side and the place on top of potatoes.  Fold and crimp foil until a pouch is formed. 
5.  Place on grill for 30 minutes...flipping frequently.  (I have a smoker and move the pouch over to the warming side  about 15 minutes into cooking to keep it warm as I cook the meat. This insures that the potatoes and meat are done at the same time.) 
6.  Slice through the top piece of foil with a sharp knife. BE CAREFUL - steam will rise from the pouch.   If done correctly you'll have a convenient foil bowl to serve steamed but flavorful potatoes. 

Hopefully your family will enjoy this tasty but healthy version of a potato based side dish. (And yes I did say healthy...sneaky mom that I am.) 

*I use Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning...and while it does have a bit of a kick...it is mild enough even for me.  This is NOT Cajun seasoning.

©Becki Gylberte All rights reserved. This is a work of fiction. All names, characters, locations, and incidents are products of the author’s imagination, or have been used fictionally. Any resemblance to actual persons living or dead, locales, or events is entirely coincidental. No portion of this work may be transmitted or reproduced in any form, or by any means, without permission in writing from the author.

No comments: